Sunday, January 30, 2011

[Love Letter to Myself/Soul Wife]

24 January 2011


I want to write

a letter

to you,

Self--

can’t think of who else

I love

so dearly,

who else

I’m so out of practice

saying that to.

I want

to take you out

someplace nice, give you

roses,

like a first boyfriend, know

this folded letter

warm on pink paper

will stay with you forever,

your first profession

of love.

I want

to buy you a ring.

One that sparkles

with true intent.

You’ll wear a

white dress & I’ll

love you like I

never have--

come home early

to kiss you

hold you, hold you

to feel the gravity between us.

So long

I have been absent--

busy busy

with unImportant Things,

working late at the office

grading papers

grinding myself away--

forgetting

that the love of my Dearest

measures my worth;

that success is not

what I believed it to be &

staying home,

turning in--

this is where

wealth is found:

with you

tending to this inner garden,

giving you glory

in our own house--

You,

my faithful little SoulWife,

packing my lunches

all these years,

waiting, like a mother;

At last

I will come Home.


-Rose Arrowsmith DeCoux

No comments: